Spring Raffle: "Devil's Claw Bundle"
- Support NS/S seed conservation when you enter to win this rare and unique Sonoran Desert artifact
- This Devil's Claw bundle is also called a "Hat" by Tohono O'odham weavers
- Size: Diameter: approx 17 inches, Height: approx 9 inches
- Raffle tickets are $5 each or $10 for three tickets. All proceeds benefit Native Seeds/SEARCH
- Tickets are available online through May 31st, 2022
- Drawing will be held on June 10th, 2022
- Winner will be contacted June 15th, 2022
*ACTUAL TICKETS WILL NOT BE SENT - YOUR EMAILED RECEIPT WILL BE YOUR TICKET
The last two years at NS/S we have grown Devil's Claw and "volunteers" sprout up everywhere! The successful harvests (and volunteers) have allowed us to donate the pods to weavers throughout the region.
Devil's Claw pod (Martynia parviflora) is the black plant material used for design patterns in Tohono O'odham basketry and is considered the most valuable and most durable of all basket weaving materials. Seeds are planted in late June or early July in time for the summer rains to provide an abundance of water for the plant to flourish. Harvest typically takes place in October, when weavers collect the pods, remove the green outer coverings and find the black claws that are hidden underneath, which are then painstakingly stripped for use in basket weaving.