Securing the Future of Food
Crop diversity is key to achieving sustainable food security both globally and within our own region of focus, the southwestern U.S. and northwestern Mexico. Our approach to food security focuses on seed security, which relies on the conservation and sharing of appropriate crop diversity and the knowledge to use that diversity effectively. Our programs are designed to address these goals and broadly entail:
- Seed banking to ensure the survival of unique agricultural biodiversity and to document its traits.
- Seed distribution so that these crops continue to contribute to the region's food systems.
- Support for on-farm maintenance of dynamically-evolving crop varieties.
- Research into low-input and climate-appropriate agricultural practices.
- Education in managing local crop diversity and contributing to regional efforts.
Learn More About Our Approach